Featured Post

It seems Pope Francis needs to brush up on his Tertullian!

It has been reported (in The ChristLast Media, I must note) that the current Pope does not like the phrase "lead us not into temptation...

"Let no freedom be allowed to novelty, because it is not fitting that any addition should be made to antiquity. Let not the clear faith and belief of our forefathers be fouled by any muddy admixture." -- Pope Sixtus III

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Happy 80th Birthday, Coach Paterno.

He is a Catholic gentleman, a winner, his players graduate, and he does not cheat. Let him coach as long as he wants.

Sports Illustrated: At 80, Lions' Paterno eyes 33rd bowl game
State College, PA - Two decades ago, Joe Paterno figured he'd coach for another few years.


The Penn State great turns 80 on Thursday, and the answer is still the same. Even a broken left leg hasn't changed his tune.

"I had planned before I got injured to coach at least a couple more years," Paterno said earlier this month. "I don't think the injury has set me back that far. It remains to be seen, but right now I am planning on doing exactly what I had planned to do before I got injured."

The Paterno family isn't planning any big celebrations this week, though they had a small get-together after Thanksgiving to mark the occasion. JoePa likes to keep his birthday low-key, son and quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno said Wednesday night.

Milestone birthday aside, 2006 has already been a big year for Paterno.

The Nittany Lions won the Orange Bowl in January to cap a memorable 2005 season in which they won the Big Ten and finished No. 3 in the polls.

The 2006 season marked Paterno's 41st year leading Penn State, tying the record for the longest time coaching one school set by Amos Alonzo Stagg at the University of Chicago between 1892-32.

On Nov. 4, Paterno got walloped in a sideline collision with two players at Wisconsin. He fractured his shinbone, tore two knee ligaments in his left leg and had surgery the next day.

The injury forced Paterno to watch Penn State's 47-0 rout of Temple on Nov. 11 from home -- the first JoePa-less game for Penn State since 1977, when Paterno skipped a game after son David was involved in an accident.

The head coach returned to Beaver Stadium to catch the victory over Michigan State in the regular-season finale, taking in the game from the press box.

Joining his players on the sideline at the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 against No. 17 Tennessee might be Paterno's biggest birthday wish right now.

Paterno has said he intends to lead the Nittany Lions (8-4) from the field, though team doctor Wayne Sebastianelli has the final word.

"Coach Paterno, it seems like he's 40 years old," safety Anthony Scirrotto said. "The guy has a fire inside of him that keeps burning, and I don't think it's going out any time soon."

Sebastianelli has said that Paterno has progressed well since the surgery and should be able to walk on his own in a month or so.
Paterno has been watching practice from a golf cart, and recently began walking on his own with the help of a walker.

"He picked it up and started holding it above his head when he walked," Jay Paterno said. "I think he's more proud of that than he is his birthday."

The coach's desire to get back on his feet seems as powerful as his desire to keep coaching.

"I can't explain it. Why do people write forever? Why do people do whatever they like to do and not want to back away from it? I don't play golf, I don't fish and I am not a guy for hobbies," Paterno said.

"To me, college football and being around kids and trying to make them as good as they can be, and having a good competitive football team with the kind of support we get ... it is an ego trip I am sure. I am sure it is part ego, but it is fun and I am enjoying it," he said.


Be careful what you wish for, Lions fans. You certainly can have a coach worse than Joe Paterno...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
First of all, the word is SEX, not GENDER. If you are ever tempted to use the word GENDER, don't. The word is SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX! For example: "My sex is male." is correct. "My gender is male." means nothing. Look it up. What kind of sick neo-Puritan nonsense is this? Idiot left-fascists, get your blood-soaked paws off the English language. Hence I am choosing "male" under protest.

Labels

Blog Archive